Monday, June 8, 2009

Teva Mountain Games: XC

Noon starts are the best. There's nothing like getting up 2 hours later than I usually have to and having time to enjoy coffee and a delicious breakfast before the race jitters set in.

Sonya and I stayed with a fabulous host family in their beautiful house in Eagle, whose kitchen we put to good use. Sonya made some amazing blueberry pancakes while I made coffee and distracted myself with the various kitties and Kaibab, the stick-obsessed cattle dog.





Best outdoor breakfast spot in the area.


Throw it one more time!




We arrived at the venue with enough time to get the bikes perfectly dialed for the race.


Sonya rocks the white lycra euro-pro look.


And then... the race. There was a great turnout of 25 or so pro women from around the country, including a few of the best racers in the world. I started out fairly conservatively and raced a pretty solid first lap without blowing myself up. I probably started out too conservatively, again. On the second lap my intestines siezed up a bit and I briefly considered stopping to go to the bathroom.

I started to feel better on the downhill and upped the pace a lot for the third lap. It was enough to catch a few girls who had dangled in front of me on the second lap, but not enough to get to the five who finished the race within a minute in front of me. I finished the race feeling fresher than I should have. While my finishing place of 11th was good, it just isn't satisfying feeling like you didn't leave it all out there.

It was great to race on such a fun course! The climbs were not ridiculously long and the descents were more than ridiculously fun.


Sonya Looney finished a respectable 18th... not bad when you train for 5+ hour races!

No comments:

Post a Comment